Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Need Eco-Therapy

I always ask for both paper and plastic when I check out at the supermarket. I use bags for my kitchen garbage. Sometimes, if my garbage is not too messy, I even reuse them. Now after reading this article in the NYTimes (Feb. 16, 2008)...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/us/16ecomoms.html?em&ex=1203483600&en=f35a74fd3c3e7771&ei=5070

it's apparent that I need to find an ecotherapist.

It seems Tupperware parties have been replaced by Ecomom parties. I wonder if they have these events for grannies. The article reminded me of a vegan couple I met years ago. Everything they used had to be "natural" so their sorry little 5 year old used a straw backpack for school(I think they modified a fishing basket)...poor tyke.

I grew up removing the foil from stick gum wrappers, saving rubber bands and reusing everything. My parents remembered the depression and war year shortages, so I inherited that mentality. We never used paper towels (too wasteful), colored toilet paper (too extravagant). Our pillow cases were scratchy chicken feed bags that my great uncle, the chicken farmer, gave us. I vowed, that when I could afford it, I'd have matching bed linens, printed toilet paper and other extravagances. Now I guess I need shock therapy to get back to my old ways. Maybe Al Gore could find a new career as an Eco-shock therapist and I'd be his first patient (victim).

2 comments:

Miki said...

And here I thought I was the only child whose parents had them remove the foil from gum wrappers. My dad wasn't a child of the depression, but his parents were and I guess he just passed it down to us.

Mrs4444 said...

Cute. My mom was a Depression baby. She saves EVERYTHING. I go over to her house every now and then and say, "Mom, I could really use about 12 of these CoolWhip tubs. Do you mind if I take them?" and she says, "Of course not! Take all you like!" and I do (even though I really don't need them). She just can't let go. :)