Thursday, October 18, 2007

How Bad Is This?

I have a friend with A LOT of money. She's a good person. Wouldn't hurt a fly. All of her children are dead. Her husband is dead. Her remaining relatives have abandoned her. The few that haven't, probably want her $$$$.

Today, I helped her start to get her affairs in order. Her holdings are all over the place and are difficult to manage. Today we got started putting them in one place. This is a painful task for me, reminiscent of doing this for my mother.

My friend is old. She is overwhelmed and seems scattered. Actually, she has all her marbles. She's hard of hearing and misses a lot, so she seems senile.

I was with her for 5 hours today, trying to start to get her affairs in order, a daunting task. We made a lot of headway today. We got the process started.

So how does a good person end up having all her children and her husband die? How does she end up being vulnerable to the vultures circling her nest egg?

Next time anyone says, "What goes around, comes around," I'm going to deck them.

3 comments:

Karen Smithey said...

She's very lucky to have you for a friend.

Hannah Grace said...

Karen's right...but you're bringing back my (what I thought was conquered) fear of getting old. I guess it's not really about getting old though. It's about ending up alone. I do need to read more of Rainer Maria Rilke's letters to be at peace with solitude.

Robot Dancers said...

That is a beautiful thing that you are doing for her.